Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Anyone started with the NDIS?

Thank you @eth  🙂

Thats good.  I am finishing up a Recovery course atm @eth 

The worse case scenario approach is only helpful to get on ndis apart from that, it may stimulate catastrophising. Nobody needs that.

You and I have both made a lot of progress within ourselves and in building supports since we met.  In another year who knows how things will be ... Belive in yourself eth.  I feel both of us have been on the coal face at the margins of black and whitefella life ... for a long time. I have decided to put some indigenous  festivals on my bucket list ... maybe next year //// watch out world I am getting greedy.

Smiley Happy

If the ndis is a helping hand to a better life, maybe we dont need to be overconcerned about maximising our use ... I can see you doing great stuff catering and writing ...

I have not found the right fit for my writing.  There is a great centre in the Hunter Valley ... but not moving that far ....good website tho ...

Smiley Happy

@Appleblossom  Recovery course sounds great - I'd love to hear more about it.

I know that centre.  They advertise some excellent activities.

Thankyou for your comment about catering and writing - sounds like a good life to me.

Go for it with the festivals on your bucket list.  I think Barunga is the best one ( not too far southeast of Katherine).  Of course the Garma (inland from Yirrkala/Nhulunbuoy in east Arnhem Land) is amazing - I never made it there but a very close friend was a volunteer one year.  I think it's the biggest cultural festival in Oz and they also have educational forums as part of it.  Run by the Yothu Yindi Foundation.  

You might also be interested in Dadirri Cultural Tours at Daly River (Naiyu) - the lady who started them featured in my childhood.  Dadirri is well worth googling if you haven't heard of it.  It means 'listening to the waters inside' and is an Aboriginal form of meditation shared with the world now.

@Appleblossom  if you want to know more about those festivals or Dadirri maybe tag me on A Long Rave, ta.

I prob cant do it this year. @eth  I will look at them all ... it will be a good distraction. I will also try and link up here with interested people and move when I have better connections.

Its good you have ndis but its not the be all end all.

Dont underestimate what you could achieve. quietly and stubbornly being you ... go sista.  All we really need are the basic hierarchy of needs met and I little satisfaction from meaningful living. Its not that expensive. I dont aspire to frequent travel.Been there done that. My back and neck and finances are not up to it so I have solidly gone for stay at home stuff.

Smiley Happy

Love this thank you for sharing...
...recovery means gaining and retaining
hope, not a cure...

"recognises that recovery is not necessarily about cure but is about having opportunities for
choices and living a meaningful, satisfying and purposeful life, and being a valued member
of the community"... excellent

@s-jay  I think it's a really wise definition - it has helped me a lot the last couple of years.

Hi @Doglover  this is the thread I mentioned re:  NDIS.

Thanks @eth ☺

Hi @Doglover   just something you mentioned yesterday - It would be great if you were able to go back to work for sure.  But you can still be eligible for NDIS even if you're working.   Just depends on the functional effects of your disability.  There are 5 areas of function that they ask about on the access request form.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance