Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

BlueBay
Senior Contributor

Anxiety taking over

Hi everyone 

I'm feeling lately that my anxiety is starting to take over. 
im really scared when I go out in large shopping centres, large crowds outdoors and in big places. 
Eg. Hubby and I were in the city last weekend and I had visions and thoughts that someone would come in the place we were in and hurt everyone violently. I kept looking around very anxious. 
then yesterday while in my ACT therspy group I stsrted having visions agsin thst someone would barge in and hurt everyone violently. 
I'm very frightened. I haven't told anyone yet except you guys now. 
it worries me because I would still like to go out, travel and do things but my fear of something happening is huge. 

Can anyone relate and if so how do you cope?

i think msybe I should speak to my GP snd msybe the psychologist running the group therapy. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Anxiety taking over

Hey @BlueBay. Sorry to hear you're experiencing this. I'm thinking this is new for you?

I feel very anxious when I venture out of my (very small) comfort zone. I don't like big or busy places at all (what I consider big and busy seems to be not big or busy for many others). I feel like I'm always on the look out and like something bad will happen. I find myself very sensitive to noises, people being too close to me, unpredictable fast stuff happening everywhere... It makes it very hard.

I'm sitting at a bus stop at the moment about to head somewhere very busy to catch a couple of trains to take me way out of the comfort zone. It's taken me hours to psych myself up enough to even be sitting here.

I find it helpful to try and tune in to what's happening inside me rather than outside. To feel my feet on the ground, my legs on a chair etc. It might sound a bit cheesy but I also try and look at this stuff with curiosity. Like "isn't it interesting that might feet are tapping" rather than "omg I am shaking a lot". Simple things that help are headphones and music to focus on and I often chew mints or gum, perhaps as a way of getting out some nervous energy. Recognition of the little steps too helps I guess. Just sitting here at the bus stop preparing to go in is something I recognise as an achievement for me.

Not sure if any of that helps, but you're not alone. Talking to your GP and/or psychologist sounds like a great idea. There are things you can practice and put in place to help ❤

Although I'm supposedly "recovered" and am working in a full time mental health role I do still experience anxiety in large social situations such as city streets and shopping centres, supermarkets etc.

Breathing exercises can help such as 6 breaths per minute; so you breath in to a slow count to five then breathe out to a slow count of five, and repeat etc. I also shop at a smaller supermarket most of the time to avoid the crowds. And yes as CheerBear mentioned listening to music on headphones can drown out the surrounding chatter and noise and gives the mind music to concentrate on.

Another method is looking around and identifying five things of a certain colour, or five things of a certain shape, or five things starting with a certain letter of the alphabet to help you concentrate on something else apart from the anxious feelings and sensations. But these things work best with regularly practicing the method outside of the anxiety provoking environment first so you don't have to think too much when they are needed and they come to you as second nature..

Yes @CheerBear @this is new for me. Thsnks for your support 

also Thsnks for your support snd tips @DesertRat 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance