Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Nick77
Casual Contributor

Alcohol Drinking problem

Hi guys,

I am Nick. I am new to this forumn. I think I got some problem with my drinking habit. I only drink occasionally though, usually on weekend, but every time I drink, I drink a lot until I got black out. Each time when I drink I could not remember what I had done at that night, which i feel very guilty and shameful the next day. I just want to get out of this drinking habit. This has really affect my relationship status. Anyone else has the same problem? And got any recommendations that could help me ? 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Alcohol Drinking problem

Hi @Nick77 and welcome to the Sane forums.

I don't have a drinking problem but am commenting because we all need some support.

Do you see a psychologist or have a regular gp? You might be able to start with talking to them about your drinking habit and getting some professional help.

Again welcome and I hope you find the support and help you are looking for here. I am sure we have some members tht can relate to what you are going through.

Hi @Nick77 

I have a drinking problem even though I have not touched alcohol for the last 6 years, I'm an alcoholic! 
I didn't drink every day, didn't even crave alcohol but when I went out I would start drinking to overcome my shyness and 'fit' in. The problem for me was that 1 drink was too many and 100 wasn't enough. Social drinking in a BIG way, it would lead to poor decisions, hangovers, vomiting, everything you think is disgusting when you see and smell a drunk vomiting in the gutter as you walk past. 
Then one morning I woke up hungover and smelling of grog and vomit and realised my drinking was negatively affecting my life. I admitted out loud that I was an alcoholic. Haven't touched a drop since and feel great.

You should feel proud of yourself for having the courage and wisdom to join this group. I really hope we can all help you on your road to recovery.

Thanks @Snowie 

I have not got a chance to consult with my GP yet. I always thought I am in control of it as I don't think very much often, but then I just realise that I got blackouts every time I drink and that is not normal. Hence, I am looking for a way to break out this alcohol loop. 

Thanks @MrX1 for sharing. 

I think I am in a similar case as your. I don't drink very often, only one a week or one every two week. The thing is once I start, I can't stop. And I am sick of this post drinking anxiety. I am looking for a way to break out this loop. I have a tried a few time to cut down or stop, but I failed. 

Hi @Nick77 

You haven't failed until you stop trying. 
I found what helped me was not to put myself in situations where there was alcohol. I took all of the alcohol out of my house, I stopped going to the club and pub on weekends for about 6 months and I told all of my friends I was an alcoholic and not to try and give me alcohol or make me feel bad because I wasn't having a drink with them.

My friends were good if we were at a barbie or something they let me drink my soft drink without hasseling me.

When I started going back to the club I prepared myself and kept reminding myself, if you feel like ordering a drink with alcohol GO HOME!  It took time and setbacks but I didn't fail because I never gave up trying. Don't be the person that fails because you give up trying, be the person that continues to try despite failing and you will get there.

Hi @Nick77 welcome to the forum. The fact you've recognised you have a problem is a great start - many don't, or they continue to deny it.

This government website has a list to lots of great support services/advice: https://www.health.gov.au/health-topics/alcohol/alcohol-contacts

I would also start with your GP. They should be able to help get you started/point you in the right direction. As @Snowie has mentioned, getting a mental health plan and seeing a psychologist could be really beneficial.

Best of luck.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance