Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: anRe: A long rave

I've been subjected to comments like that @Appleblossom

Current Unemployment is very Under-Stated - it's possibly 10% to 15% (not 8% official Rate).

So No, every Australian cannot have a job - there is not a job for them all to have.

Yes, I've had similar experiences with Therapists (Psychologists).

They have demonstrated how well they did not listen - by forgetting all the details (especially crucial details).

Even Psychologists generally admit (to me at least) - that CBT is not appropriate for Trauma Work, or for Trauma Survivors.

10 sessions would not even scratch the surface - unless it's just for a short-term crisis (some extra stability).

I've heard that more than 13 years of continuous Therapy for Long-Term (Complex) Trauma is Common or necessary.

I guess it depends on the Approach (Therapy Method) - & how well we connect with the Therapist/ Psychologist.

Good Connection (Rapport) & Trust = More Effective.

Lack of Empathy/ Shaky Connection = Not Effective (even confidence-damaging).

Adge

Its good to be honest and open and be able to just talk about things as they are. 

@Adge 

Thanks.

It means a lot to me.

It really helps to have perspective.

Maybe I will be able to shake bad experience off.

I've felt so strongly driven to ... model how to make the system work ... we also have to face facts about the broken bits.

Yes to the lack of real jobs.  The casualisation of the workforce has been a slow eroding reality and it makes it hard for the young ones, as my son was discussing this evening.

I hope Centrelink works out. Security makes a difference.  I hope you find things you enjoy as an early retirement maybe.  I had one uncle retire at 50 and spend a lot of time on his boat. 

You and I have been on both sides of the services.

I can certainly understand why you would want another cleaner @Appleblossom What they are saying is not okay and you don't need to listen to that Smiley Frustrated

Hugs and hugs and hugs to you Apple Heart

@Zoe7 

Thanks and hugs. 

Heart

The NDIS is a work in progress.  It can be overwhelming as at first there are a lot of people and different supports thrown at you and it takes a while to figure what will and wont work.  I have super high expectations of myself to get along with all comers, learning that it is alright to find a better fit is new for me.

The focus on choice and control for the client is a good one and is intended I believe to weed out the things that dont work.

Hope you are doing alright?

Yes No-one should have to listen to that negative judgmental talk @Appleblossom Neither you, nor I.

Interesting that you mention an early Retirement - it's actually been in the back of my mind, for several years.

In the face of mounting physical health problems & chronic illness, it might even be necessary.

My Dad semi-retired at age 55, though he still did some Coaching (being a Science Teacher).

Superannuation Claimable age has now been Raised to 60 y.o.- the Age Pension has now been raised to close to 70 y.o (for anyone my age).

So that poses some major challenges for any plans of early retirement - virtually all of my male relatives were gone, long before age 70.

Adge

It is alright to find the fit for yourself @Appleblossom We can't always get on with everyone ...for many reasons - but you have the right under any system to choose those that you fit better with - that will inevitably help you in both body and mind.

I am okay - really glad to be on holidays now - it has been one massive term.

Hi @Adge Smiley Very Happy

Drink Deep from the Holiday Well @Zoe7 

Smiley Happy

Melbourne has a lot of lockdown atm. I am fine either way.

@Adge 

Yes they put up the age to 70, which makes it tough but i Hope not impossible. 

A neighbour has been doing it on newstart with vollie work at Vinnies to meet "obligations".  She retired a couple years ago and can stop obligation in a couple months ...

I like the idea of keeping some work going through retirement age ... for interest ... pennies and dignity ...  but with Covid and all ....just thinking small and looking after myself for a while.  Maybe I dont need to keep stretching so much any more?? idk

Some people hate retirement.

Hi and good morning and thanks for your responses here @Appleblossom @Zoe7 @Adge @Maggie @Snowie @Shaz51  and sorry if I missed anyone.

Just catching up on the interesting conversation and observations here.

Struggling a bit putting my shattered self back together here today so I'm not up to responding individually atm sorry.  Huge night last night with my brother spending nearly 2 hours talking about his experiences, memory and feelings about some very traumatic periods in my/our life and how I tell my story in ways that he finds totally invalidate his.  His memories and experiences are so different from my own and I'm bouncing from stunned to trying to integrate it all and sad/guilty/ashamed for what others have been through as a result of my behaviours and diagnoses.  And feeling like I simply have to concede that other peoples' memories are more likely to be correct than mine despite the fact that what was true for me at the time WAS true for me even when I was in psychosis, mania, PTSD triggered and reeling from traumatic events.   ...........  more I could say but will leave it that many big feelings and new chunks of memory are happening overnight and today.

@eth 

That is huge. Sending you images which I hope  soothe and support.

treecirc2.jpg

roottraumatree.jpg

Alone and in GroupsAlone and in Groups

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance