Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

burntsalad
New Contributor

23 yr old brother with schitzophrenia

It's always been hard on me to have a brother with schitzophrenia. Even though he's not nessisarrily reliant on me, he relies on my parents heavy, and I'm really worried for both of them: The stress of my parents and the wellbeing of my brother. We, as a family, always push him to get a job, but the moment we talk about moving out and all that stuff, he gets paranoid and says "i can't get a job. it's not possible". All he does is sit on his computer all day and I'm really worried if he's gunna have a future. and I'd feel even worse if my parents have to stress about taking care of him for the rest of their life. Despite being very lucky that he no longer hullucinates and all that jazz, I feel like there isn't much help that we can get; he hasn't had a job in a year, and he tried multiple schitzo pills that didn't nessisarily help him. Sometimes we tell him to eat healthier, as he doesn't exersize or take care of himself, and tell him other types of advice but he never believes anything anyone says. is there any place he can go to for help?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: 23 yr old brother with schitzophrenia

Hi @burntsalad

KobeCat here one of the night moderators.  Welcome to the SANE community.  I hope you find this a supportive and safe place to talk about concerns you have about your brother. 

Look forward to seeing your posts.  

All the best, 

Kobe

IMG_20180428_212030.png

Hi @burntsalad - you sound frustrated with your brother, its so hard to have compassion for someone who struggle holding their own and cause parents so much heartache.  I have two brothers with drug induced psychosis / schizophrenia - taking antipsychotic medication.  Both are on involuntary community treatment orders CTO) as deemed a harm / neusience to community. One bro is on antipsychotic tablets (not schitzo drugs 😏) and the other forced to have monthly antipsychotic injections (or be readmitted to hospital). Its very sad. Both brothers continue to smoke dope,  gamble and are constantly broke, always spongi g off parents. Parents often feel guilty,  like they did something wrong, so they dont know how else to help. Part of this diagnosis is the lack of insight and empathy.  Debating issues is pointless.  One of my bro has his entire house and smoke detector lined with foil (to dull the lazor beams targetting him, he says  ). Both  my brothers with schizophrenia  diagnosis have strange interpretations of the world / delusions. They are often aggitated,  restless,  can't sit long, argumentative,  defensive and absolutely don't handle stress - especially that required in most paid employment. Pressure to "just get a job" would not help - they need support walking through it, and staying there and all too often have breakdowns (because of this illness) and lose their jobs which is crushing and yes - he would see it as 'impossible'  Not to mention the 'stigma' working against him.  They often suffer depression.  Their state of mind is faulty,  they can't help a lot of it. I have not found 'support' out their,  apart from the local chemist (pharmeceuticals) - but blind freddy can see they need more than that. And the side effects of these pills are horrible - obesity and lethargy are two big ones.

Have you read the factsheets (homepage) on schizophrenia?       Learning all you can would be extremely helpful.  Better to just be caring toward your brother and supportive of your parents.  I use to get so angry with my parents always handing them money,  but really,  it just created more conflict.  

Also NDIS might be able to help.  Carers Australia have a support line for your parents. Would your parents come here on sane forums? 

Keep talking with us ❤

Your brother needs to get on a disability pension and learn to budget super well because it is not generous. He needs to have his own income so he can take some responsibilities and raise his self-esteem.  The disability pension would give him the income he needs to contribute to the family. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance