Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Atlantis
Casual Contributor

Mental illness is all around me

Hi I have just discovered this forum. Thought I’d have a go as I feel quite isolated. I have battled mental illness from around 10. I didn’t know at the time what it was, the anxiety has been there for as long as I can remember. I have recently been diagnosed with bipolar 2. Which I have asked before years and years ago but psych said no. Then I got diagnosed with a thyroid disease so my mental probs were put down to the thyroid. But once it was stable for a few years I was still all over the place. So I have been to psychiatrists and psychologists and meditation and smoked weed ate mushrooms and even had frog poison put into me to try and find a better mental state. Anyway my journey is not yet over. I also have a 20 yr old son with ADHD ODD anxiety depression and schizophrenia so that has been very traumatic for us all. So to add to me I also have PSTD. My daughter has GAD and a mild ID and then my youngest has ADHD and I can see the beginnings of depression and anxiety with him also. My partner is possibly a functional alcoholic. I also have a alphabet of other diagnosis which I don’t know what I really have. I mostly function. I work full time. I take care of my family. But I do crash sometimes. Wow that feels good letting that out. Not sure how comfortable I am with posting as I am such a closed book usually.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Mental illness is all around me

Hi @Atlantis,

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for sharing your story.

That is a huge load you are carrying. I hope you are finding time for yourself, taking time out and looking after your self care. I'm pleased that it felt good letting all this out by writing your post. One of the things you can control is doing things that help you to cope and looking after yourself as best you can.

I hope that you will find the forums to be a supportive place for exploring all these issues. Just a tip, if you are replying to someone or wanting to notify or touch base with someone, place an @ before their username, as in @Atlantis

All the best

Joe The Lion

Hi @Atlantis

Thanks for sharing your story - you have a lot going on! 

What stands out for me in your story is how you describe mostly functioning, your pursuit of solutions over the years, and the feelings of isolation. I can totally relate. Especially how you describe 'mostly' functioning. Being a parent you are always the carer, never the cared for, always needing to appear outwardly okay - which can be exhausting and lonely. I also get what it's like not being an open book, finding it difficult to say 'hey, I'm hurting here!' to anyone at all, even strangers. Keep posting. There are so many people who will relate to your life experiences, and who will want to talk. You said your journey isn't over. Are you seeking help anywhere?

Hi @JoeTheLion and @jackson12
Thanks for replying.
I have started seeing a psychologist at the beginning of the year and it has been really helpful. I also do self help, spiritual stuff with my friends when I can. I get massages etc so I do do things for myself when I remember or when someone points out that I should.
@Jackson thanks for your reply was heart warming. I am seeking help. I am actually a mental/disability worker so I’m quite educated there and have done my mental health first aid. But have recently been told of a local support that I will look into when I find the time. I think what I like about your post is how u can relate to being a closed book and most people I know will tell anyone and everyone who will listen lol
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance