Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Just got diagnosed Bi Polar

After a few years and two psychotic episodes, been diagnosed with Bi Polar.

Just seeking advice on what to expect from people who have been there, will i be taking medication for the rest of my life...?

What is life like with this disease?

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Just got diagnosed Bi Polar

@Former-Member Hi chaos I have bipolar 1 and schizoaffective disorder and yes you will be taking the medication for the rest of your life .... (I keep asking the professionals the same question). Apparently for many of us medication is like physically wearing a bridle (I would agree with that). I feel physically constrained by the medication but I know without it I will go manic which is not a pretty sight for anyone including myself when I look at the aftermath. At least the medications have improved and are still improving.

So anyway welcome to the bipolar bear club there are many of us here 🙂

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah whilst I know that the medication keeps me sane I just don't like the idea of them and the side effects, although that sounds entirely ungrateful. 

Pretty surreal to think I'll have to be taking something for the rest of my life!

Regardless, thanks for the support appreciate it. Beats going manic again, that wasn't enjoyable..... (parts were not the aftermath) lol

Hi @Former-Member, welcome to the bipolar bear club. Smiley Happy

I too have bipolar 1 and agree with @greenpea that medications are for life. I've gone off my meds a few times, never with good results. Resolved not to do it again.

I'm guessing you have a psychiatrist. I also find that having a psychologist helps. It's taken me quite a long time to find one I thought was genuinely helpful, but the one I have now is wonderful and I will stick with her as long as possible. Same goes for psychiatrists and GPs. Once you find good ones, my advice is to stick with them. You get to know each other better that way, which leads to better treatment from them, and more trust.

The side effects are the main problem with meds. But there are sometimes different meds that can be tried if you are having too much trouble with side effects on the ones you are taking. Everyone reacts differently to different meds.

Hope you find your time on the forum helpful. Good on you for reaching out. Smiley Happy

Hey there @Former-Member, welcome to the bipolar bear club from me too. I am schizoaffective bipolar and yes unfortunately the meds are for life. I call my meds names of cocktails... the antipsychotic/mood stabiliser is a pina colada and my PRN is is my daquiri. For me it helps normalise my experience if I have to say "time for a pina colada" or "perhaps I can have an extra daquiri?" 

I'd rather take a cocktail of medications than have the rollercoaster of dizzying and often dangerous and risky highs followed by very dark lows. I lost a lot of friends, my job due to my mood shifts. I have almost died numerous times. It has cost me a lot, but as much as I wouldn't wish mental illness upon my worst enemy, I wouldn't change a thing as having it for most of my life, it has help shape who I am now.

Hugs @Queenie, @Former-Member, @Mazarita, @greenpea HeartHeart

how are you all tonight

we are here for you xxx

Good! Really good...

Have been quite depressed the past few weeks but now I am feeling great, few minor lifestyle changes. I try and do my best regardless of how I feel.

Keeping myself in check though, seeing the psych tomorrow to see if its abnormal or not but I'm not used to feeling this good unless somethings wrong -.-

Will keep you updated!

how did you go with your appt @Former-Member Heart

It's tomorrow :0 just been working today, what are you up too

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance