Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Lookingforhappy
Contributor

Tips and tricks for Recovery

I was just wondering if anyone has any helpful tips on how to keep positive during recovery?
What works for you?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Tips and tricks for Recovery

I do like systems. Not so much into routines. But for me the right systems improve my routines. I like to put my own spins on as well. Gives a sense of autonomy.

There's a weird Eisenhower quote "Plans are useless, But planning is everything". Weird, right? But a weird sort of sense.

I was doing ACT but I think I need new approaches. Not because it didn't work. Because it's starting to take me to another threshold of sorts. That's the way I like to look at it.

Hi @Lookingforhappy 

I haven't met you before so it is nice to meet you. I hope you find the answers you are looking for here.

It is hard to stay positive during recovery. Some days are easier then others and sometimes it feels like the hard days outweigh the good. It is good to see you are seeking tips on how to stay positive.

What works for me is to just take one day at a time. I try and do something for myself every day, from getting my hair done, having a massage and facial to just taking 10 minutes to just sit down and have a cuppa. I also find keeping a journal helps me, especially when I can read back and see how far I have actually come.

I am wondering if you have a support system in place at all? I rely heavily on my psych who I see every two weeks to help in my recovery. 

I hope you find things that work for you and can find a safe and supportive environment here.

Take care 💗

@Snowie 
Nice to meet you 🙂 
It is so hard sometimes, the bad days can take over! 
Taking one day at a time is what I live by haha! But your tips seem very helpful! Thank-you. I should try do that, at least one nice thing for myself a day. 
Im in contact with a psych, psychologist , Gp and a key Clinician. 

Thank-you for your advice, I appreciate it !

What @Snowie has said is so true @Lookingforhappy . And when things get tough, it’s not even about taking each day as it comes. It’s about taking each min! Just focusing on the next min…minute by minute.

Take Care,

tyme 

Hey @Lookingforhappy ,

I thought of another one!

Practising gratitude helps a lot in terms of recovery too.

I've looked into research which states that the brain cannot process both 'negatives' and gratitude at the same time. Hence, to me that means that the more I practice gratitude, the less grrrr I am?

What do you think?

tyme

Hi @Lookingforhappy , distraction was /is a big one for me. When I couldn't /can't face reality, I read novels. It's helped me in my worst times. 

Another one is that saying, you know, "This too shall pass".

Hi @Lookingforhappy 

It's great to meet you!

For me, the day by day thing helps but as @tyme said, when you're struggling breaking it down to hour by hour, minute by minute can help. Distraction helps me too. I love to draw and find that quite calming. I used to find peace in reading but as I've gotten older I find it hard to concentrate when my anxiety is bad. Podcasts help me then...listening to something interesting, having thoughts other than my own awful ones, can really help.

Reach out any time 

hanami 💮

I am into systems too and not routine though keen to hear.

Personally I use my own “Guides”

A useful one is a relapse prevention plan.

Also listing out alll the ways to be self compassionate.

I still look for a way to habbitise them a bit more like getttj t a meal or excerise plan from the gym

Hello @Former-Member , @Lookingforhappy , @NatureLover 

How are we going xx 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance