Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

MDT
Community Guide

The Next Day

I have called this thread The Next Day because it reminded me of David Bowie's 25th album. At the age of 25 I was on a journey to explore things I care about (in fact I posted on this forum about it at the time). In the end I went overseas to chase something, but I came back it didn't eventuate. 

I think at this stage in my life (bearing in mind this was prior to COVID) I was hopeful and optimistic about the future generally but also my future. Sadly it did not eventuate and I think have suppressed that feeling for far too long. But I realised very recently that I have suppressed a lot of memories for too long. Since that trip did not eventuate I have been stuck in somewhat of a pattern (and its something I only just realised very recently). This pattern involved me being hard on myself, forcing myself to take up jobs for the sake of it and basically just suppressing more of the things that I cared for, wondered about and worried about.

I guess now that I have time, I have time to go back over these things and learn. Maybe fate has now finally afforded me the chance to spend this time on myself. Come whatever may from this day forward, what I know is that since 25 I have grown a lot as a human. And some stupid things have burned away, and yet others have stayed all the same. And yet some of the things I care about are still there. 

So from this day on I am committing to myself a promise - to be "Good" to myself and to continue on a path that is consistent with things I care about and similar. To keep a sharper mind towards myself and to not get distracted. 

I promised myself 2 weeks ago when i was about to finish my then "new" job that I didn't last with, that I needed to do 2 things: Contextualise everything i have done and where I am at now. And to also avoid going idle. 

I do not believe the second is a possibility, unless i lose site of the former. 

onwards I go 

58 REPLIES 58

Re: The Next Day

download.jpg

AFK
Senior Contributor

Heya @MDT . I saw, took interest and read your post before I even realised it was you - with whom I have spoken at some length - who wrote it. Funny, that.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that what I am seeing is someone who is looking at things and questioning how much how you are living lines up with your values. It's something I've been working on a lot in recent years, myself. Being in survival mode had me working long hours in a job I don't love just to keep food on the table (it's the job I took to get me through uni, which didn't get me a better job, and I've been stuck there ever since). It took a combination of both good and awful events to jog me into a different space where I could step back and spend a bit of time evaluating things.

You mentioned taking up jobs for the sake of it, and suppressing things you care for, wonder and worry about. I have a bunch of questions about that, if you're cool with that (no pressure to answer anything you're not comfortable with). Are you in a financial position to take a break from applying for any old job and considering what you really want? Or even to volunteer somewhere that fits your values if there aren't paid jobs in the field? If not, can you do part time to hours that suit you and pay the bills whilst allowing yourself a little space to breathe? For me, downsizing my car and my house, revisiting my utility bills and so on meant I could live on less and therefore work less. My job still doesn't fill me with joy but I can do less of it, and when I'm there I'm more present and productive because of it, which helps me cope with life better. As a result, I can do more of what I care about, being with my partner and our birds, chilling out and playing video games or whatever. Humble values, but hey, that stuff makes me happy.

The big question is, what does being good to yourself mean to you? I gather travel is important to you. It's not overseas, but maybe local travel and fruit picking to earn a crust is possible as a short term option? With borders opening up and local economies trying to right themselves, I'm sure it would be doable. I guess the idea is if you can't launch into what you most want, can you edge in that direction? Me, I'm edging toward working even less so maybe I can study again and get the old brain meats back in use (they're just not in retail). I want to do more creative stuff, too. I try with little projects like drawing cartoons lampooning my Warhammer 40K armies, and various other random things. It's a work in progress, but edging in the right direction beats stagnating. Onwards!

AFK.

Hi @AFK
I'm quite sleepy atm so I'll leave it for now
But I'll chat with you tomorrow 🙂

Good Stuff @MDT

I was actually pondering the What is the Meaning of life vs What gives life meaning and which is the more important question. 

With all the gained wisdom that you have, which do you think is the question I should be asking?

I will need to get back to you on that one i think @AussieRecharger
its a good question !

@TAB @greenpea @oceangirl @Shaz51 @Owen45 @Appleblossom @AussieRecharger @Judi9877 @AFK @Paperdaisy @Clawde

I'm over here these days

Off to psych today later on - gonna do some do prep for my session

@SmilingGecko over here these days

@MDT  Hey Hams 🙂 hope you are okay my friend.xxx

Hey @MDT 

How did your session go?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance