Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: The Challenges of Mental Health Wellbeing

That is quite okay @Sans911 It seems you have a similar sorting style as I do lol - I have an 'odds and ends' box also and it never seems to get any lower Smiley Tongue

I really need my garage roof finished so I can do the walls, put up the shelves and get a lot of the 'stuff' that is inside stacked in the garage. Most of it would go anyway if I was a work but as I don't know exactly when that will happen - or where I will be - for now it is stacked in my spare room and hallway. It makes it really hard to sort out things I have to sort out as I don't have the room - I do think the 'mess' I have in my house is not helping with my motivation - I hate a messy house, just like you I like everything in it's place.

I used to own my own 2 bedroom unit about 15 years ago. I loved that little place. I had a single garage so I put up shelves, and stuff that wasn't regularly used was put there. My house was pretty neat and tidy because it was quite small, so any mess was immediately noticeable. But I've always been like that too.

This current house I rent was built in the 40s,so apart from the kitchen, it has no storage spaces at all. The kitchen doesn't have much space either. Luckily the ceilings are high, so I have some big, tall wardrobes(need a ladder to reach top) and tall bookcases. I try not to clutter the house up with excess furniture/storage so some things are stored in colourful boxes. And I have lots of metallic & cardboard magazine holders. I do collect certain mags, which I had to cull when I left England because there was just too many & they weigh so much.

Hmm... This is turning into another long post @Zoe7

I hope I'm not boring you.

Not bothering me at all @Sans911 It is funny because so much of what you wrote could be me too lol

I have a 2 bedroom 1920s house with high ceilings and not much storage either. Most of my things are stored in different coloured containers and all will be able to be stored in my single garage when the roof and wall is done. I do have an extension on the back of the garage which is more a work space - it is small but I can have all my tools stored in the one area and there is still enough room to work in there.

I don't collect a lot of mags but as you could probably imagine I have thousands of books which are either on shelves or stacked in order of subject and then size - very particular about that as I need to be able to easily find what I am looking for for work.

Oh wow @Zoe7

1920s house - it must be beautiful. Haha, yes it's a bit like your post is a personal reflection of mine and vice versa. I'm not sure why, but I thought you lived in a more modern home. It wasn't for any particular reason. But we are perhaps more similar than we knew. I think I would like Horbart and Tasmania, as I love old architecture. I will get there one day.

I know my next home will possibly be more modern, smaller and lacking in character which I will struggle to feel comfortable in after this place. But at least I will be able to put my pictures up which I can't do here. I have so many ones from my travels that are quite unique and different so it'll be hard to group them or decide on a theme. Might have to have a rotating schedule.

Now this just might blow your mind! I have my books classified or stored in EXACTLY the same way. By subject and size. So my nursing texts/books take up one bookcase, then I have another for novels or non fiction etc, and so on. That's just plain bizzaro @Zoe7

Mine are like that so I can easily locate them by what's in the bookcase, and they're not in all sorts of different places.

My house has an enclosed back sunroom. This is my storage space for not often used things. I've also got a single bed in there for guests, and a large bookcase hides the bed and gives some privacy. If no one is there, this is where the litter trays are.

My house has an enclosed front sunroom @Sans911 and that is Cat's room - basically there are beds and toys and baskets of things there for her and a baby gate stopping Toby being able to get in there - it is Cat's safe place lol

My house is a beautiful old house but it still needs a lot of work - nothing is level or square which makes it harder to renovate Smiley Surprised There are also some issue with the roof leaking in the kitchen and the chimney when we get storms or lengthy heavy rain - both things that need to be fixed apart from some walls needing to be levelled and the whole of the inside of the house needs to be painted.

I will get to it one day!

@Sans911 I need to have an early night tonight - meds already kicking in - thank you for the chat - it has been lovely Smiley Very Happy I hope the rest of your evening goes ok - hugs Heart

Same with this place @Zoe7

It's possibly in much worse shape than yours. Internally it was revonated before I moved in, however the house is barely holding as it is rotting rapidly. The side of the house I'm on is sinking on one corner, so there are significant cracks in the walls and ceilings of my room which are plasterboard. Some windows have been sealed shut due to them being unrepairable or the landlord not wanting to replace them at significant cost.

I can see this place being bulldozed possibly in 5 years or less. It is on a large plot of land, as are many other houses in my area, so there is so much space to develop into two houses or units.

My bedroom has an old fireplace, and I've stored some boxes in there, and hixd them with a blanket box in front. But I get a lot of soot falling onto the  boxes.

Cat sounds like she lives like a princess. She is a lucky cat to have a good human mother like you. Mr A is currently asleep between my legs and Jasper is on the cat blanket at the end of the bed fast asleep.

At least it is your home @Zoe7

Home renovations often take time, even when we are well.

good night @Zoe7, @Sans911 Heart

I thought it was nearing your bedtime. Goodnight sweetheart. Sleep well hopefully 💙💜😴

@Sans911 sorry ive not been that chatty tonight, but am still around if you need.. just struggling abit with emotions 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance