Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Judi9877
Community Guide

Sydney and surrounds Lockdown Thread

Hi forumites👋
I just thought I'd start a new thread to lend some support to forumites who may be experiencing lockdown in Sydney and surrounds. I'm from Melbourne and I've experienced being lockdown on many occasions so I'd like to use this thread as a way of supporting forum members who may be having a hard time right now. 

I'd like to say the number 1 piece of advice I can give is to take care of yourself both mentally as well as physically.
Use this time to take it easy and do things you enjoy that might not be usually possible such as watching DVDs or catching up with Netflix and the like if that's your thing. There are plenty of great shows on those streaming devices so make the most of it. I know my housemate used the time to catch up on old episodes of All Saints and Blue Heelers as well as another friend in Perth watching the Orange Is The New Black series when they were in lockdown over there.

If the news of the numbers of people with COVID-19 is getting too much, switch off and do something else. I know that in the end, just hearing Daniel Andrews voice made me annoyed so I gradually learnt to stop listening by doing some knitting. Trust me, I knitted lots of beanies for charity by doing this! 

There are other things that I did but this is for each of you to share your concerns and thoughts and experiences of what's going on for each of you so feel free to join in the discussion. Like I said, I'm in Melbourne and am only getting news from the media outlets and social media. I'm not living the lockdown in Sydney and surrounds so I can't comment on what it's like up there. 

Please take care and stay strong. Lockdown is hard but it's not forever and you will get through this. I believe in each of you and know that it doesn't last. 

Judi9877🥰

109 REPLIES 109

Re: Sydney and surrounds Lockdown Thread

Thank you @Judi9877 🌹🙏💕

Tagging @Emelia8 @Bow @greenpea 💕

Thanks @Judi9877 🙂

Hi Anastasia. Bring the vitrus on I say.I am a shutin!!! @Anastasia 

Apart from the obvious loneliness and heartache, it's been OK.

I have been going outside for coffee and walks, but I think if the case numbers are this high beyond tomorrow, I'll probably stop that. 

I plan on getting through this by reading a lot.

I abandoned my yearly reading challenge on a certain website. I don't know if I'm allowed to name the site, but if you're on there, you know what I'm talking about.

I'm thinking of making a Tumblr instead, and writing "articles" on the books I have been reading, or putting quotes up. I have always been vaguely interested in reviewing books, or practising it anyway. 

As you mentioned, there's a lot of entertainment options.

I watch a lot of sport, so if I'm in pain, spending three hours watching a Super Bowl is definitely an appealing way to take my mind off it... well, most Super Bowls anyway 😂.

I've always had the same coping mechanisms. Beyond the above, I love watching videos of people playing with fountain pen inks, or looking at ink reviews.

Some of them are seriously works of art. And just looking at other people's handwriting and the structure they use on the page is oddly satisfying.

I know it's cliche, but if we cope, the lockdown will be over before we realise it.

Hello @MDT @Former-Member 

I love the purple Florence 💜

This has just made me aware that I'm not sure where everyone's lives to tag 🤔💭😀

I am fine as I am a classic shutin however if people start doing stupid things like hoarding toilet paper I will be a pissed off little pea.

@Anastasia  love to you sweetheartHeart

You too gorgeous @greenpea 💚

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance