Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Mouse
New Contributor

Support Groups

Hi

I am new to the forum and seek some advice. I have a friend with a mental illness who I have been supporting intensively for some time. Some of her behaviour I find extremely difficult to manage - mainly around boundary issues. I would actually like to go to an after hours support group so I can manage this behaviour, support her but retain my boundaries so my life is not subsumed.

Are there any groups like this around? I am finding myself getting cranky and don't want to be that person with her. She is a gorgeous soul.

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Support Groups

Hi @Mouse and welcome to the forum! 

Boundary setting with people you care so much about can be a really difficult thing to navigate. It is great that you are reaching out for support. 

Unfortunately, as part of the forums guidelines around anonymity, we cannot share specific groups or service providers here. 

You may however find this forum useful as peer support at any hour - we have lots of members who have experienced having to set boundaries between them and their loved one. You could post a new thread in Our stories detailing what is going on for you at the moment with your friend and our peers will connect with you and share their journey and advice Smiley Happy

It can also be helpful to use the search bar at the top of the carers forum to look at other topics that you may relate to! 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Mouse

Your friend is very lucky to have such a supportive friend like yourself, but boundaries are important to put in place so we don't feel our lives our consumed and become drained by an unhealthy codependency. You may find the Mental Health Carers support Australia good for helping with advice and guidance on support groups in your area. Wishing you and your friend all the best

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Mouse
There is some general information about support groups I can pass on.

The federal government has a carer gateway website that has support information

https://www.carergateway.gov.au/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwn-bWBRDGARIsAPS1svshh9HTUyAmyNFOkhGKGZonpWsSCNbMUFzCn...

Depending on what state you live in, state govts also have listings of mental health carer support services. individual health services sometimes provide Carer support services (I think some in Victoria may have information sessions).

If you google 'mental health carer support' followed by the state or territory you are in, you should find a service provider that might be able to help.

Darcy
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance