Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Jessten
Senior Contributor

Strategy advice

I need some ideas for coping strategies. I ended up in hospital after taking too much medication but I wasn't intending on self harming it was just a coping strategy.

Since then I've struggled and  I just feel exhausted and am struggling to do daily activities. I've also Been for numerous tests and am in pain but don't want to take the pain relief as I'm.scared of the possibilities. 

What do people do to help them get through ?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Strategy advice

Hi @Jessten 

I hope this post finds you doing ok. It sounds like you're in need of a shoulder to lean on.

It's no fun dealing with pain. Med's can be a life saver, there's the temptation to over medicate though due to severity and lengthy bouts. I get it, absolutely.

I don't know much about your background J, could you elaborate some more to fill in the gaps? That'd be great!

I trialed a few med's before I found the right one. There was the cause to delve into of course, but the pain had priority. Once that was addressed it was easier to cope with daily life and focus on treating the base cause. But hey, there's no shame in sleeping-in or taking it easy when life's like that. Crying even helps to shed pain from our bodies when we're exhausted.

Please, when you respond, could you be specific with what coping strategies you're after and what you've tried? This might help me help you...

Lovely to meet you; looking forward to hearing from you.

Hope Heart 👵🖐

@Hope4me  thankyou for your response.

Sorry for the long rant 

I have anxiety and have had a number of health issues over the past few years but it's challenging as all my tests always come back normal.

I jump from Dr to Dr as every time I see someone it is automatically its your anxiety. 

I was sent to a pain clinic who didn't know how to help as it wasn't clear what was causing my pain and when back home found an awesome Dr who put me on pain relief and was there when I needed but they have since left.

I was then getting swelling in my leg and went for multiple scans but everything came back normal. 

I then resorted to taking pain meds but what scared me was I wasn't in pain I just took them because they were there resulting in me ending up at hospital. Ive now has more health issues and put on stronger medication and I'm scared as I don't want to take it as I remember what happened the last time I took it but then there are days I just want to take it because I'm exhausted and just want to sleep. 

I have tried talking to psychologists, pushing the pain aside best I can so I can continue to work, going for a walk or the gym, talking to friends or engaging with my kitten.

I'm unsure what type of strategies I'm after I think I just want to know what to.do when the thoughts are in my head bout thinking about taking the medication even when not in pain.

Jessten

Hi again @Jessten 

Thanks for your reply, I'm glad you decided to respond as some people don't after they 2nd guess themselves.

I'm wondering if you're on anti-anxiety medication. (Not anti-depressants as they sometimes don't work for anxiety; they didn't with me.) A-A med's also relax the body so they can ease physical discomfort in some circumstances. One of their great effects is quality sleep (taken before bed) which reduces anxiety symptoms the following day.

Taking the pain medication 'as it's prescribed' won't cause undue harm ok. Without it, it's a vicious cycle of pain, anxiety, pain etc... Interrupting that cycle is more productive than not.

Trust your last doctor and their advice. And; try to trust yourself. I know things went awry before, but as they say, live and learn. 'You' are in charge of your recovery and finding someone who can help you get diagnosed. His/her notes will still be on your file from last time so it's likely the next GP will continue on with treatment.

Ask lots of questions too. Hunt around well known Universities and Medical sites like the Mayo Clinic in the US to find symptoms that resemble yours. Stay clear of well meaning unknown sources, especially those selling things.

If you write in Google; '..pain in (?) area and swollen left leg' for instance, this might lead to something of value.

I'm trying to get you involved in your diagnosis hun. This also helps you feel in control of your life as chronic pain has a way of making us feel helpless.

I hope I've been helpful. I'm not much on emotions I'm sorry, practical advice is probably more up my alley.

Get well and talk soon;

Hope xo Heart 👵🖐

Hi again @Hope4me 

Thanks for your reply it was helpful. The new doctor hasn't followed on treatment but that's ok. I'm the queen of Google and trying to get answers myself  I just sometimes over think everything but thankyou for your advice 

Jessten ☺

You're so welcome @Jessten 

Have a great day! 🖐

hi @Jessten 

I sympathise with chronic pain. I had crippling pain and mysterious chronic injuries for about 7 years. That meant I was unemployed for those 7 years. I was also very mentally unwell for that 7 years so I found the pain very difficult to understand and beleived it was a mental health problem that I had no way to fix. I had almost no sleep for those 7 years.

For me the solution was medication from a psychiatrist that had the benefit of a sedative effect. I slept and my pain and injuries all but vanished! My psychiatrist had a hunch the pain & injuries were due to me having no sleep and he was right. I chnaged anti-psychotics (due to side effects) and lost the ability to sleep. The injuries and pain cam back right away. So I went back to my psychiatrist and he kindly gave me a new med that has a sedative effect. I sleep & my pain & injuires once again vanished.

I am so grateful I am well now. For years I had doctors and physios and osteos all prodding & poking me & prescribing me all kinds of pain killers. All telling me I could fix the problem with exercise yet when I did the exercises my injuries and oain got worse. It went on for years.

That is just what worked for me and everyone is different. I don't know what will work for you but I am confident there is something out there for you. If I can get better anyone can. 

sitting with you Cat Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance