Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

saltandpepper
Senior Contributor

Sober vs Medicated

Wind back the clock to a couple of weeks ago and you'll find me sitting on the couch depressed as all Hell and longing for a way out. You'll see me drink too much, hurt myself, cry, scream, spew, toss and turn all night, write suicide letters and talk to my son about how I'll always be with him even if he can't see me.

This year has kicked my ass, no doubt. It's brought me to a point of desperation where it's either make or break.

Now if we look at the past week, you'll see a noteable difference in my outlook and behaviour. I voluntarily got out of bed at 7am (for the first time in years), have been chipping away at regular household chores (and managing multiple things in one day), cooked proper meals, have felt happy, laughed, danced, taken my boy out on adventures, fallen asleep within 5 minutes at bed time, haven't dwelled on the past, haven't contemplated suicide, have had positive memories return regarding previous sexual relationships (though not sure why I'd blocked those out), have contacted clients about work, haven't felt overwhelmed by responsibilities of single parent life, rescheduled plans with a mate and also went on a uh kind of ah date type thing.

So, what changed? I've been smoking weed. And yeah, I did that for fun when I was younger but cut a lot of that stuff out when I got into a serious relationship. I'm not doing it for fun now, I'm not sitting around getting baked. Not sober, but not noticeably medicated either. Balance.

The past week has been... Life saving. Felt like a regular person. Normal. Content. Ready to pick myself up and dust myself off and move forward from this shitty period in my life.

I tested myself yesterday and stayed sober. No weed at all yesterday or last night. I wanted to clearly see the difference in my state of mind, sober vs medicated. Tell you what, it's a big difference. Yesterday, my mood started falling to crap by dinner time. Wanted to drink (another thing i haven't touched the past week either!). I spent last night tossing and turning, obsessing, thinking, reliving. Today, still sober, those feelings of hopelessness came creeping back in. Past trauma starts stirring again in my mind. I struggle functioning, making conversation with other adults, I withdraw. Driving home this morning it all starts cycling again, all the shit that's been playing on a loop these past few months. It feels overwhelming. I get home, wanting to do nothing but go to bed. No motivation to work, cook, eat, nothing. I haven't made it back out of bed yet. Still lying here.

That physical weight of depression that sits in my chest is here, another thing I haven't noticed the past week. Today/last night has been a rude reminder of my shitty state of mind. It's not gone, not fixed, but maybe it can be managed better than it has been.

Yeah I still get memories and thoughts trying to surface throughout the day, but they've been fleeting. They haven't been all consuming. They haven't even been a little bit consuming, just there and then gone. It's been a fu*king breath of fresh air.

Only downside has been nightmares are in full swing cause of the pot. But there's a balance there too, yes nightmares have been more vivid and I guess frequent the past week. But, I've been falling asleep as soon as I get into bed and I've only been waking up maybe 2-3 times a night so I'm sleeping for longer periods at a time.

Anyway, I'm gonna go get my ass out of bed and smoke some weed. 

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Sober vs Medicated

@saltandpepper 

I support this post...but I must say I'm interested in how it might be moderated! lol

Anyway, yeah- I personally think it's great that you have found a way to live positively and more aligned with your values. If it takes a little weed, so be it (my opinion)

I certainly can't say I would join you in this activity- I can never smoke weed (or do any other drugs) again. I basically went and broke my brain. BUT, what you describe as a pattern of behaviour...if you can maintain the balance...well, good luck to you 🙂

cheers @StuF appreciate the support 👍 Yeah maintaining that balance and control is key. My mindset is I'm not using weed as a recreational drug but as medication. 

wow @saltandpepper can hear your going through so much in recent weeks but at the same time now finding a kind of ballance in your own unique way which strangely does make alot of sense as you say your self medicating rather than recreational using weed so I can get that tht is whats working for you currently just take care and know thhat we on the forums are here for you aswellHeart

Yeah for sure @LostAngel will monitor it and plan on talking to my doc about it so I can be accountable to someone

And thanks for dropping in with some support @LostAngel much appreciated 

@saltandpepper  Hey saltandpepper I could do with a little bit of weed now myself. It would be interesting to see what happens. Probably nothing with my screwed up brain.,

Aw hey @greenpea I'm sorry, I feel your frustration. Everyone is different Pea, different things work for different people. What works for me might not work for anyone else. And I don't know how helpful it would be to anyone with history of psychosis Pea. It's exacerbating my nightmares so can't imagine what it might do for someone with mental health concerns in that field.

But, I'm always around for a chat Pea

@saltandpepper  yeah my psychiatrist said weed would screw with my mind and son2 so I just have to be a good girl and do as the psychiatrist says.:) Always great talking with you to saltandpepperx

Yeah makes sense @greenpea Im sure your psychiatrist is doing everything possible to help manage your mental health though. Always good talkin to you too Pea 👍

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance