Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

May23
Senior Contributor

Mental Health Stigma

Why is it so hard to view mental illness the same as physical illness???

The mind needs to be looked after just as much if not more so than the rest of our bodies. So why is it that we don't do so?? Why do we feel shame for needing help to deal with our thoughts and emotions but not if we have the flu or a broken bone?? For example diabetics take medication without judgment from others yet taking antidepressants for anxiety and depression is looked down on. 

I suffer anxiety and depression and have tried unsuccessfully to cope without medication. The uncontrollable thoughts and rollarcoaster of emotions meant I was simply going through the motions of day to day life without actually living. That is of course if I was able to drag myself out of bed. For me no meds equal nightmares, panic attacks and suicidal thoughts which is a miserable existence. However, medication is not a complete solution. If I was to take my meds only without talking through my issues and learning coping techniques it would be like using a bandaid to treat a gunshot wound. I'm not saying medication is right for everyone but if it is the right choice you should be able to do so without the stigma making you feel worse about doing something that helps. 

Being on medication does not mean I won't still feel both anxious and depressed at times but that it won't cripple me to the point where I see and feel no way out of the darkness other than to end it. 

For me medication is just part of my recovery and accepting that I needed that extra help has saved my life. 

I do not judge anyone for their personal preference on medication. Being pro-medication works for me but I would never hold it against someone for choosing a different path for themselves. 

Considering it's 3am I should probably attempt to get some sleep. Fingers crossed that happens quickly now the house party down the street has finally quiented down.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Mental Health Stigma

Good morning @May23 🖐😊

It seems you're in a bit of a fluster. No sleep at early hrs of the morning tends to bring out our frustrations and need for somewhere or someone to yell at. I so get it!

And you're right; stigma around MH issues is a dicey one for sure. The reason non sufferers judge is because 1. it sometimes affects them; 2. they don't understand and; 3. they're not educated in such matters, so resisting, turning away and ignorant comments can occur. Let's face it, we were all ignorant when our brains broke eh?

Your comparison between physical and psychological problems is about treating symptoms. In the beginning, we acquire treatment we want/need according to info from medico's, psych's and reading material; treating the disorder comes later.

When non sufferers learn First Aid, they know what to do with who to call for the right help or a stabilising a broken limb for instance, but there's nothing to teach them how to treat a person who's having a psychological breakdown; that's a different course. (Mental Health First Aid)

In my opinion, these should be integrated to address the wholeness of a person's needs in a crisis situation. Now that's the idealistic approach, but when you're knee deep in emotional pain and confusion, everything's bigger than Ben Hur. Decision making (on our own behalf) is complex, frustrating and very, very personal. The smallest thing can bring on even worse symptoms.

Instead of judgement, we need to 'evaluate' what's in our best interest. If we don't have the capacity to do this, it's better to seek advice than to ruminate on the why's and what for's to our own demise. Would you agree?

IMO, medication is the backbone of recovery in those early stages where life seems unbearable to get us into a mental state where coping is the priority. Once things settle, reducing med's and increasing other treatment options is a good process to consider.

While ever emotions lead the way, confusion follows as a matter of course. I really do understand what you're feeling as I've been there, but now I've come out the other side and can look back with a different perspective.

I hope I haven't come across as lecturous May. I'm not as emotionally driven as I once was which allows me to approach issues with more clarity. It's what you tell yourself that directs where you're headed. Any option that gives you calm until your brain has rested and recuperated is a worthy endeavour.

I log-in a few times each day to check on things; please feel free to voice your thoughts honestly ok. I've got broad shoulders too if you want to offload some more or disagree with me.

Sending kind thoughts; 💌

Hope Heart 👵

Re: Mental Health Stigma

hi @May23 

I resisted meds for years but now I am on really good ones w a great doc. it has given me a much better quality of life both emotionally and physically.

I'm glad you are finding meds helpful. everyone is different & there is lots of trial and error.

I have serious mental illness myself but as I try to support my young nephew with his depression I find it very, very slow & frustrating. So even tho i don't feel stigma towards him & have a  lot of empathy & experience with depression, I am struggling to be supportive. It's hard sitting with this problem that does not seem to be moving at all, I run out of patience. 

For me I generally try to avoid stigma by not telling anyone that I have a mental illness. I have to confide in some people because the pressure to talk about it builds up at times.

I hope you continue to feel better with time & we'll see more of you on the forum.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance