Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Making a commitment to self-care, and keeping it!

Just as well I did not spill the beans re: secret women's business @Shaz51 .-- @Former-Member ha ha , oops Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

@Shaz51 Shhhhh...

images (9).jpg

I recently completed a jigsaw puzzle that my daughter’s boyfriend gave me for Christmas -- way to go @soul Smiley Very Happy

have you got a "buy, sell, give away site near you , You might be able to fine someone to swap jigsaw puzzles with you #

Did you take a photo , love to see it @soul

Op shops often have jigsaw puzzles @soul

Here it is @Former-Member @Shaz51

A work in progress and then the finished project.

Puzzle.jpg

puzzle - finished.jpg

Looks great @soul Smiley Very Happy

A friend sent me this recipe, had it for tea last night - one of my self care strategies is to try new recipes as it is one of the things I enjoy doing. Mr D loved it (suggested we have it again), might be something you would like @soul as I know you are fond of Thai food.

Thai Chicken Noodle Salad

Total Time: 25min
Prep: 15min
Cook: 10min
Serves: 4
Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:
450 g skinless chicken breast, (tenderloins, 500g fat trimmed
150 g cellophane noodles
150 g snow peas, trimmed, thinly sliced
250 g cherry tomato, halved
100 g bean sprouts, trimmed
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 whole fresh red chilli, thinly sliced
2 tbs brown sugar (I probably only used 1tspn)
2 tbs lime juice
1 tbs fish sauce
3 tsp sesame oil
2 tbs roasted peanuts, chopped
1 medium fresh lime, thinly sliced

Instructions
Prepare the noodles, following packet instructions, or until just tender. Drain. Using scissors, cut noodles into 5cm lengths. Place in a large bowl.

Meanwhile, lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3–4 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing thinly on the diagonal.

Add chicken, snow peas, tomatoes, bean sprouts and onion to noodles. Place the chilli, sugar, juice, fish sauce and sesame oil in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Add the dressing to the salad and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle salad with peanuts and serve with slices of lime.

Tips: To save time you can use barbecued chicken breast (skin removed) instead of chicken tenderloins. To reduce the heat of a chilli, cut it in half and scrape out the membrane and seeds. Wear rubber gloves or wash hands well afterwards.

Thanks for the recipe @Former-Member - that's right up my alley.

@Catcakes
I have learned that Mr D can quite well do without me on occasion and that it is imperative for self care. Mazarita kindly shared her lived experience of bipolar with a few of us and it helped me greatly as well as a talk I posted on the 'what's new' tab about caring for someone with depression or bipolar. I do not know what diagnosis your mum has but the talk may be of help to you. Committing to self care is important for us carers too.

Had a day off work yesterday - in keeping with my commitment went to the beauty salon. I have been researching IPL @Adge, it can be quite hit and miss, works for some, not for others. Have not decided as yet whether to give it a go but am thinking I would like to. The laser treatment is said to be more effective but there is nowhere within cooee of where I live that does this.

Thanks @Former-Member for reading my posts.
I have the MI but I care for an elderly Mum. She has chronic health conditions, is frail and very lightweight. She pretty much only lives on her own because I go there daily. But the frig is stocked so she won’t starve and I know I can have a day off occasionally .
👍🏼
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance