Skip to main content

Re: In a jam, pickled, frozen, well preserved and other culinary triumphs

@Former-Member @Shaz51 @greenpea @Smc 

so does anyone have any ideas about too many chillis?

they're not particularly hot so I'm using 2 at a time in everything I cook right now.

I have about 5 litres of sweet chilli sauce bottled

about a kilo chopped fine and frozen

about half a kilo chopped fine in oil

only half a kilo dried so far

all the trimmings get used to make garlic/chilli spray to keep bugs off the plants

Gave half a kilo away to a bloke at work today (no one else wants any)

still have about a kilo in the fridge and about 2 kilo still ripening on the bush

Recipes anyone?

@SJT63  Have you googled? My ex neighbour used to have a chili bush but the new neighbours pulled it out which is a shame. Sorry I cannot be of more help.xx

I dry my chillies and then use them in various dishes. I make peanut chicken and use a dried chilli to season/ give it a lift.

Dish is sort of satay like but not Asian - I serve with boiled potatoes, steamed cabbage and carrots.

1. Fry off a chicken fillet that has been sliced thinly with some olive oil and a teaspoon ground cumin.

2. In a blender make the sauce - 1 cup chicken stock (I use a cube), a good dollop of crunchy peanut butter and a dried chilli. 

3. Pour sauce over chicken and simmer approx 20 minutes, add a bit of water if it thickens too much.

4. Serve with veg.

@greenpea 

on the weekend I made up a recipe to use up some of the excess...

hot chili and pumpkin relish

it's hot

it's delicious.

Can see it already @SJT63 

Spice up your wedding reception  with SJTC's celebratory conjugal conserves.

@SJT63  Yummy! :p. That sounds delicious.xxx

My thick dutch pea soup plus gained a compliment to day, with added coconut, ginger and chili in it, a bit of a kick... he said.

@Former-Member @Shaz51 @Smc @SJT63 @greenpea 

My ex's nana (who had the face of a cherub) would make the best fig jam :). @Appleblossom @Former-Member @SJT63 @Shaz51 @Smc 

Yummmmm @greenpea , @Former-Member , @Appleblossom , @SJT63 , @Smc 

@greenpea, I made a fig and feijoa jam a couple of years ago that was very yummy. 🙂

I've gotten a bit of preserving done this year. Sour Cherry Jam, Redcurrant Jam, bottled peaches and pears. I was hoping for decent quantities of bottled tomatoes and other tomato-based preserves, but they've been slow to ripen. I'm looking down the barrel of green tomato pickles... but there's only so much of that we can get through.