Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Flying_Hams
Community Guide

I don't know anymore and I need a break from it all

Last night I went out against my initial instinct not to. I figured I needed some social atmosphere after a dull day at work. My work is dull and there is only one place I can work at out of a possible 6 places that I actually feel accepted and appreciated - but they have me doing such meaningless work. This is all down to the fact that the workplace is boring and the work is itself boring as well. There is so much politics in the workplace because of this - more than the average workplace. 

I already know that I am the subject of rumours and gossip due to a mistake I made once about mid way through last year. I accidently tagged someone in an email chain at another work station and they saw what I had written. This person has then gone on to tell others and I believe this is why I look like a fool to them and its why they have started to treat me differently in many places.

I didn't say anything bad about people and I didn't say anything horrible. I just said that they didn't train people there at that workstation and that people did not like there generally. 

I will be returning to that workstation on monday and tuesday next week and I am REALLY REALLY dreading it. They tell secrets, they gossip, they play games they do all sorts of rubbish there. I will be treated like scum and I am not looking forward to it one bit. 

Last night I was out and I felt bad and then good and then normal. It was very mixed. I don't have social media aside from facebook which I don't use often enough at all. I am not into that stuff even though I probably should be and could probably benefit from the interaction - but its all so fake. 

Today I have spent a long time doing basic tasks for my internship because I want to make a good impression and FINALLY LEAVE MY CURRENT JOB to do something new with this company. It is relevant to my area of study and I can see myself doing it. I think I will take a huge downward turn if I don't get something out of this role. My attention is so strained by the thought of going to this place next week that I don't know how to find my way through this bad time. 

I feel isolated and hated by people and I don't deserve to feel that way. 

There is so much fake stuff in the world and I have had enough of it, but I don't know what to replace it with. 

I feel empty and lost and I am really just done with pop psychology and BS self esteem movements that just say I need accept myself and love myself. That's not possible when I am in a bad place and surrounded by bad stuff. It's like saying "snap out of it" to someone who is depressed. 

I feel like my social skills have taken a huge leap forward but then a giant leap backwards in the past 2 years. Back to where they were long ago. 

I am tired. Really tired. Depressed and sad. Lonely and exhausted. 

1,319 REPLIES 1,319

Re: I don't know anymore and I need a break from it all

@Flying_Hams 

Hearing you about the fake cultures and corruption out in the wider world, including workforce.

It is enough to make people sad, mad, and frustrated.

Yes you are prob right about pop psychology and social media.

Fingers Crossed for you.

Apple

Smiley Happy

I think there is a mistake in focussing on social skills ... or a a mindset that it is a deficit ... in Mental health issues .... psycho social realities are a little more complex ....

Take Care Mate

Hi @Appleblossom
Thanks for dropping by and sharing your wisdom

You speak from a position of wisdom and life experience.

I am always keen to hear what you think.

Do you think modern life (both workplace and social) has radically changed? Or is it just different now and that every generation "blames the one before it"? To quote the famous song "in the living years"

I have worked in many employment sectors @Flying_Hams   They all have their biases and issues.  SOme are more corrupt than others.

Regarding current times.  I do believe the Complexity of current times, is not made easier by technological complexity.   They do not equate or cancel each other out.

20 years ago someone, very professional, ex principal, told me of a similar incident to the email thing you mentioned.  She was well aware that it was a common possiblity i8n a rushed environment, with people pushing "send" before all the issues and ramifications were taken into consideration.  It is one reason I delayed and limited use of tek myself ...

I guess in terms of that, it isn't the worst thing I couldve done in terms of tech. @Appleblossom

Its a temporary issue. Not a permanent one.

I am not settled lately.

I have p doc tomorrow so hoping it helps to talk stuff out with him.. then psych on Friday too. Double up I guess

Hope you feel better soon.  

Unfortunately, it's really hard to exist in a culture that does not work with your values. Do you know what your value in a work place and does it exist?

@AussieRecharger
G'day there.
I value good management and good work culture. Currently those are lacking in my organisation.
The work itself is easy too.
I think anything that had both of those is good. Sadly they are lacking.
I am dreading next week

Your "not enough FB" comment struck me. Most people say "too much FB". But I've been thinking kinda similarly to you lately.

FB has plenty of issues but at the same time, in between the corrupt people and algorithm's there's also good people and good algorithms. When isolation is one of your issues that's no small thing.

Lately, it's been more worth it to me to sift through the shash for the sake of something worth engageing in. I will say, this forum engages me in ways that FB just never could. Glad I started FB'ing again. Super glad I (and you peeps) diversified in this direction.

@Flying_Hams @wellwellwellnez 

Like the thoughtful conversation about FB.

I only began it after I began on this forum.  Very old school ha ha.  There were many things I found that were positive, among the issues, quite a lot as I had generally great friends online.  It kept me in the loop, and in touch, on many things.

Since breakdown of computer and self last November I have not been on FB.  When I heard about some of the issues in newspapers about FB arrogance ... I felt less inclined to go back on ... finding out who matters in my life ....

Hi @Flying_Hams sweetheart, one foot in front of the other, try not to worry about what you perceive others are thinking of you.

It sounds like they have the problem not you.

love from Clawde.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance