Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Anon8
New Contributor

Downward Spiral

Hi. 
I never believed anyone when they say I’m a good person, kind. For all I see is the complete opposite. I don’t have the confidence to believe that I am a good person for I just believe the worst about myself instead. 
I drown it all with alcohol. I push away the ones who matter the most. 
I just want to be better but don’t know how. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Downward Spiral

Hi @Anon8 

Firstly, welcome to the forums! Even knowing so little about your story, I think there'll be a lot of members here who can deeply relate to your experience you've posted, and you with them. 

What you go through with your self-talk and your perception of self sounds really hard - and hurtful ❤️ I can hear you have tried to cope through it, but theres part of you feeling that those ways of coping are no longer working for you. Please know that you aren't expected to go through this alone, no one is. I wonder if you have tried or considered reaching out for professional support before? Sometimes, even having a chat with someone to explore some possibilities can be helpful.

If you are interested, please feel welcome to reach out to the SANE Helpline to speak with a counsellor. They are available on 1800 18 7263, 10am-10pm, Mon-Fri and can support you with counselling right there and then, and/or assist you in exploring more long term support options. 

Hi, 

I am really sorry to hear that’s how you’re feeling and how you view yourself. I can really relate and know the struggle all too well. 

It’s hard to go through those emotions and sometimes it feels easier and safer to push it away. I hear you there. Based on what you wrote and the fact you’re here, sharing with all of us shows me that you’re a kind, caring person. Sometimes it’s just hard to believe the good about ourselves. Also, just remember you’re human and humans make mistakes too. It doesn’t make you bad either. Please don’t forget that. 

I battle this a lot to and when it’s really rough, I try to imagine myself as a friend or even little me. That’s when I can really show myself the kindness and compassion that I need and understand that I truly deserve, as do you. 

Nevertheless, you’re not alone, we’re all here with you. 

Welcome, @Anon8 , it's good to have you here. 

I know that a background of trauma and being told we are worthless or bad can get ingrained in us and we can end up believing it. 

@Anon8 wrote:

I just want to be better but don’t know how. 

Do you have any professional help or support? Like a trusted GP, counsellor, psychologist or psychiatrist?

A handy forum tip is of you type @ ansd then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance