Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decision about psychologist

Hi @Mazarita

I dont think it ethical that he terminated session before time up.  Isnt he supposed to do some work?  Did he get paid for full session by Medicare? Maybe he is lacking expertise in developing rapport.

I used to feel I had to submit to counsellors ... but @PeppiPatty 's idea of being MH consumer is good .. my GP reiterated to me that the fit had to be good and I needed to be told I could give my last psychologist the sack ... if they arent delivering the goods ... maybe a better personality mix would help ... sometimes its not about expertise it is about the dynamic.

It can feel weird to be empowered to say "No thanks".

For a long time (decades) counsellors were my main social life ... but now I am actually getting a life ... 

Hi and thanks for the response, @Appleblossom. You make very good points. I'll be interested to hear what my GP has to say. The only complication there is that they work in the same medical clinic but that won't stop me from asking my GP about a different approach and/or different psychologist if that's what I decide is needed in the end. Really appreciating everyone's thoughts on this.

By coincidence, I have managed to radically reduced the green over the past four days. The main thing that is helping is that partner and I have again agreed to have none in the flat. That only leaves my weakness for smoking it socially, which is a much smaller and easier problem to deal with than having it pretty much on tap at home. Now we just have to keep that resolve about a green-free home going. For my part, I'm on board with it all the way.

@Appleblossom Good for you!  I have had a lot of trouble with counsellors over the years - I have not yet met a counsellor who understands how to help clients with mental illnesses.  I recommend explaining the 'big picture issues' to counsellors when you start having counselling - the 'big picture issues' for people with mental illnesses in counselling, as i see them (and they're enormous), are: abusive and/or dysfunctional parenting and/or family, social stigma, workplace discrimination and an abusive mental health system.  Once the counsellor has a grip on all that, you can start to approach the solutions.  I hope this information helps someone.

@Mazarita Nice one re the green.  I said a little prayer for your success in this endeavour 🙂

Dearest @Appleblossom and @Mazarita

good for no green in the flat........that is empowering too hey.

Apple, you gave me a compliment that you said thanks for on another thread. I think another year thread.......and the other comment right now Ille just comment; yes....that it is weird to get compliments......

I have a little comment on this message you send......last year, when I went to the GP after hearing about the mental health plan on SAne forums, I got a Psychologist who I really didnt like......it was in end of 2014.......I just didnt get it with her........but I ended up messing her around .......my car kept on breaking down whenever I had an appiontment with her only about 10 minutes before I went to see her.weird hey.

chow, thanks for message.......

Did you see that @BamBam is commenting.....I remember this person.......hello to @BamBam (smiley face here) :0) 

Thanks for your thoughts, @PeppiPatty, much appreciated.

oh hi @Mazarita
now i know where that message went i sent you ..
... ..
Mazarita i apologose i had no idea there was that thread about your Psychologist but I guess you all know I dont venture far from the thread night shift....
um.
......Mazarita i think its really rude to end the session because no one is talking ..

love Pp

Hi @PeppiPatty,

I agree that it is odd he's ended sessions early. I see him later today for our last session and start with a new psychologist in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again for your responses, everyone.

You seem to have managed it really well and keeping option to return is really good.  Heart

Thanks, @Appleblossom, yes, last session with him went really well. At another time I might not have even gone to the last session out of excessive anxiety about the possible awkwardness or unpleasantness of ending things with him. Much better to have left things well. Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance