Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Snowie
Community Guide

Using essential oils as part of our Mental Health

Hi all,

I am starting this thread as I could not find one like it.

Does anyone use Essential Oils as part of their mental health?

How do you use them?

I have started looking into Essential Oils. I know there are lots of brands around but I have been using doTerra oils. You can difuse them, injest them or rub them on different parts of your body.

My first aim is to use them to help me sleep without the need to use as many sleeping tablets as I do. I know the meds are not good for long term use so looking at different ways to help. I am also looking at using them to lower my anxiety and increase my energy/motivational levels during the day. These are my main goals for the moment.

So to start of with this is what I am trying:

At night, diffuse Franincense and Lavender in a diffuser in my room.

Use Balance and Lavender used on the bottom of my souls and on my face before I go to sleep.

In the morning, 2 drops of Frankincense under my tongue and twice a day 2 drops of Lemon in my water.

I am interested to see if anyone else has tried Essential Oils, use them or would like to give them a go. In no way am I an expert, however, I don't like relying on meds for sleep, anxiety and depression.

@Sans911@outlander@Faith-and-Hope@Zoe7  @greenpea @Shaz51 @Former-Member@BlueBay@CheerBear@Former-Member@Mazarita@utopia @Queenie

@Former-Member

I can't think of anyone else at the moment but feel free to tag people that might be interested in these.

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Using essential oils as part of our Mental Health

Really interesting @Snowie What got you started with essential oils?

Sounds healing and creative, @Snowie. I'm sure some aromas calm me and relax me. The only thing I do with essential oils is use them on a face washer when I'm giving myself a wash. It's a simple but lovely piece of self care for me. I use either lavender or ylang ylang, just because those are the oils I have. I also use tea tree, and especially eucalyptus oil for antiseptics and in the washing. Also paw paw ointment, which seems to have almost miracle properties for me in relation to cold sores and skin irritations. I find these kinds of things to be good adjuncts to medical treatment. Good luck with your aroma explorations.

Hi @Snowie - great thread. I haven't personally used them but I do have friends who have and they say it helped calm their anxiety and also helped lift their mood. Feeling not so depressed. Sounds interesting - will follow with interest what other members experiences have been. Thanks for starting the thread.

Afternoon @Snowie

I use lavender oil in a diffuser and it seems to help me relax abit. I havent actually taken any or really use much on my skin either so not much help there.
But im interested in hearing what others do...

@Margotsomeone I know became a seller of doTerra oils. What interested me is that she was diagnosed with PTSD and anxiety and has found they have helped her and she has been able to cut down her meds. She is very open about what has helped her so I thought why not, give it a try. 

I thought I would use this thread to detail my journey through them. It might last a month or years, but have always been open to trying different things to help me with my Mental Illness.

@Snowie I use a combination of 4 main different oils in my vapouriser when I start feeling stressed - they help mostly to calm me a little both because of what I use and I like hpw they smell. In them are a combination of lavendar, eucalyptus, patchouli and orange (among a few others in smaller amounts) - It also helps with my breathing which I find more difficult when I am stressed - so the combinations work 2 ways - to ease my breathing and as a nice scent that helps to calm me a little. 

Hi @Snowie, what a great thread 

Very interesting, my Mr shaz has mdd and bipolar 11. And there are some he does not like the smell , but love to try others that he might like xxxx 

Thanks for including me @Snowie .... 💜❄️

I am feeling a bit rattled today (need some essential oils 👍) so I will respond properly a bit later when my brain has returned to me.

I've used essential oils in the past in a diffuser and used a couple of drops of lavender behind my ears before bed, but never have I ingested it. I'd be worried about the taste I think. 

Interestingly, it's through essential oils therapy I discovered I am allergic to patchouli as I feel ill and come up in a rash after using it. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance