Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Queenie
Community Elder

Turning my negatives into positives

Today in class we started a new subject, working with people with mental health issues. We discussed schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder today in class after watching You Can't Ask That - Schizophrenia as a class. Everyone was really interested in what I had to say. For once in my life, I was the expert! It was a great feeling to pass on what I've learned in my journey to my classmates in an open learning environment. 

Even though my teachers are trying to get me recognition of prior learning and so won't have to do this subject's assessments (I've got previous qualifications in mental health), I think I might still go to class anyway. I feel of use for once! 🙂

Today was a very good day!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Turning my negatives into positives

@Queenie Awwww .... Queenie that is super nice! we all expect you to get a A+ for this subject 😛

Hahaha @greenpea! I actually am glad to be doing this subject after waiting early for it all year. At first I was quiet and allowed people to voice their opinions on mental health (the true and the assumptions and myths). My teacher then asked if I had anything to add and suddenly, I was the expert in the field. Over the school holidays (coming up next week in my state), I'll be reading up on all things mental health and recovery with the person centred focus. I'm looking forward to it! 😄

@Queenie you could do it in your sleep :D. I am pleased for you this has come around.  How have you been otherwise? Everything okay?

Awwwwww shucks @greenpea thanks for that reply Heart I hope to be able to do it for a living one day, so that maybe less people suffering with mental health issues don't fall through the cracks of an unkind system. 

How have I been? After that last blip of mine, I've settled. I've been sick with flu but thankfully it didn't affect me mentally (sometimes being sick physically can really drag me down). How are you keeping my friend? 🙂

@Queenie ahaha after my last blip here too I think I have settled *fingers crossed*. Everything is going smoothly here which is great 🙂

Today we discussed the biggie in mental health... the big S 😞 I feel awfully triggered, especially when the teacher encouraged me to speak openly about how it feels to be suicidal and about what happens after an attempt (hospital, safety planning, recovery, re-writing the narrative etc). It also made me think about my best friend who died by suicide. It was incredibly empowering being so open to eager minds wanting to learn, but at the same time... really shitty to talk about. I had to tell them that I hear commands willing me to suicide almost every day, even when I feel on top of the world so to speak. 

I've never felt more like a drink than I do right now. I won't because I don't want to associate what I thought was going to be a positive experience into a negative one. After all, I still like the fact they (my teacher and classmates) are treating me as the expert and I kind of like that.

That's  great news @Queenie. So good to have people with lived experience entering the mental health field.  We need more like us,  out there supporting us,  understanding  is. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance