Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Heart
Senior Contributor

Meditation and emotions

@utopia, and anyone else that my have experience this.  You have mentioned on some past posts that you do meditation. I just need some advie/help with this. I have just started going to meditation classes and last night was my second class.

Half way through the class I found myself welling up and the feeling of sadness coming over me. I walked out of the class and cryed, and continued on the drive home. I have read this morning that this is/can be normal.

Would love some advice and help on how to deal with it as this morning I feel the same.

47 REPLIES 47

Re: Meditation and emotions

@Heart. Yes you are right, this is a normal response. It doesn't happen every time. I guess it really depends what is going on for you that day & if you are able to recognise the thought & then let it go.
Letting a thought go is the tricky part when you first start meditating.
When I realise I am focusing on a thought, I say to myself "time to breathe". And then I putall my aattention back on my breathe. Focus on the in breath. Can you feel the air going through your nostrils? Into your lungs?
Focus on the out breath. Can you feel the breath on your upper lip? Can you feel your lungs empty?
Everyti you realise you are thinking of something - simply refocus on the breath.
When I meditate up on my mountain - I focus on sound. The Cockies screaching. The insects buzzing. The sound of the wind in the trees.
I cried during last nights meditation class too. I felt an overwhelming sense of love and compassion towards me. So the tears just rolled down my face.
Next time, see if you can just stay in the room and keep refocusing on your breath. You will find that you will then be able to clear the mind a bit before going home.
Also speak to your teacher. He/she is trained and will be able to give you advice on what to do next time.
There is no shame in crying. Keep with the classes. You will find a huge difference in being able to cope with stresses.

@utopia, Thank you, that made a heap of sense. Yesterday was a very full day. GP visit for MHP and theropy session after that. 

My GP and theropist both work in the same centre as I do and I find that some time it is like talking to a GP/Theropist/Co worker/Friend  all in the same sessions. Some times it is very hard to draw a divider between them. It had been doing my head in for a couple of days prior as I am not dealing greatly at the moment.

Thank you for your help.

Take care of yourself.

@Heart. Some days I really struggle with relaxing and meditating. When I can't turn off my thoughts. It happens. But the more I practice - the easier it gets.
All the best

Thanks for the reasurance @utopia. I know it will get easies the more I practice. Also starting yoga tomorrow.

Hi @Heart

Sometimes my meditation practise allows feelings to rise, which is not altogether a bad thing, depends on what you have to do.

Other times I am much more cerebral so it is more about noticing and letting thoughts go.

However there were a few years I found it very difficult to meditate and gave up .. it was all I could do to just lie there without any intention or motivation to meditate.

Yoga & meditation are great practices but sometimes come with associated cultural beliefs which may not serve westerners so well.

CheersSmiley Happy

@Appleblossom @utopia On Tuesday night I found, besides the emotional side, the body was relaxed but the mind was all over the place. I also think that part of the emotional size was a vision of my late grandma. It was the photo of her sitting on the side of her bed in the nursing home that she was in, on the day of my wedding. The emotional part had started just before that vision had come through. As in my previous post, the day I had also played alot on the hole process.

Totally understand about the culteral beliefs.

Take care.

@Heart. Lol. My meditation was the opposite.My mind was clear (ish) - but I sstruggled with getting the body to relax. Always struggle with my shoulder / neck area.
So between the two of us - we'd make a good meditator. Lol.
I can imagine an image of Grandma would make it hard. I'd like to think maybe she was on your mind - to offer you encouragement on your new journey.

@utopia, LOL between the two of us yes we would make a good meditator.

A couple of years after my grandma had passed and when I was going through a very hard time she did image me. She came to me as a late teens early 20 woman that I had to look through photos to be able to recognise her. That vision to this day is stuck very much in my head. This time as I said was of when she was getting ready to attend my wedding, a mush older lady. She had damentia by this time but still knew how I was.

By the time I had my son 4 years later she did not know who I was. She knew she had a grand daughter with my name but could not grasp that I was her. 

So yes I agree that was visiting me to encourage me on my new journey.

Bless her cotton bond and I miss her immensely.

She sounds like a very special person in your life @Heart.
How wonderful that she was able to 'be present' for your wedding day. I have seen instances where peoples minds became clear for special occasions like this.
Did you go to yoga last night? Or is it today?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance