Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

utopia
Senior Contributor

* BREATHING EXERCISE *

I thought I would start a thread about something that I feel quite passionate about.
Breathing Exercises to me, are the number 1 way to help keep myself grounded and try and prevent anxiety and stress from increasing in strength.
For me, I found that once I started to practice this exercise twice a day, everyday, that it increased my ability to think and to focus on areas of my mental health.
So ... I'd like to write down the steps I use to do this exercise. And I hope it is of benefit to others.

Set aside 5 minutes in the morning.
Find a quiet comfortable place to sit or lie down.
Draw the blinds. Turn off the lights. Turn off all electronics (including mobile phone).
Close your eyes. You are safe here.
Take a deep breath in. Fill up your lungs.
Exhale fully.
Exhale fully.
Exhale fully.
Now focus on your breath.
Breath normally. Slow steady breaths.
In... and ... out.
Focus only on your breath.
If thoughts come to mind - don't worry - that is normal. When you notice a thought, simply go back to focusing on your breathing.
Breathe in.
Breath out.
(repeat)
Feel the breath as you breathe in. Can you feel it entering your nostrils? Can you feel it go down your windpipe and into your lungs?
Feel the breath as you breathe out. Can you feel the air leave your lungs as you exhale? Can you feel it pass back out through your nostrils?
Breathe in ... Breathe out.
Only focusing on the breath.

I hope this is a help. Please let me know how you find doing this exercise.

Good Mental Health to us all.
22 REPLIES 22
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: * BREATHING EXERCISE *

Now I just need you to put you with a voice recording of it up so I can lie in bed and do it @utopia. Mind you it might be a bit hard for anonymity reasons but I'd be more likely to do it from someone I respect than someone random telling me. Sorry jump to the left there. I will try tonight soon before sleep.
Thank you for posting it. I really do want to try this. 💜🤗😘

@Former-Member. Google relaxation meditation and pick an ap with a female voice - not too girly & tell yourself "Utopia is going to lead me in a breathing exercise". And I'll be right beside you - also focusing on my breath.
Best of luck.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Utopia, your correct use of breathe and breath, made me more relaxed than I've been in a while! 😜

Took me ages to learn to get that right after my memory loss @Former-Member. lol.
But I'm glad that helped you relax.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @utopia, answers my question in the other thread.

Hi @utopia

thanks for explaining this.  i will try it later before work.

Lovely @utopia 

Thanks for sharing and reminding me too 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @utopia 

how long did it take you to master this technique?

ive tried this a few times even in bed when im trying to rela and get to sleep but it never really seems to work for me.

@Former-Member. It's like any exercise - it only works if you do it daily.
I was having a number of panic attacks weekly. Most of the time now, when I feel that I might be headed that way - I use this breathing exercise. On the train last week. Onthe busy MMelbourne streets. In the underground tunnel. I did my breathing - as I could feel my anxiety rising.
When you first start it can be hard. A bit like drawing. You start with stick figures and as you keep practicing - you realise that you can draw more than stick figures. That your drawings have come to life.
Set a soft gentle alarm for 5 minutes. Sit in a comfortable place. Don't worry about how many thoughts pop into your mind - or how long you were thinking about something before you realised you were thinking. When you notice yourself with thoughts - no negative comments - just simply tell yourself - focus on your breath and go back to breathing.
Over time it will get easier and easier. But like any exercise - if you don't exercise your musclrs everyday - your body will 'forget' how to use them.
Try it religiously twice a day for 2 weeks. Then let me know how it is going.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance