Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Zoe7
Community Guide

Forum Etiquette (Netiquette)

This thread topic has come about through a discussion I have been having with @NikNik over some time. So what is Netiquette?

Netiquette is short for ‘internet etiquette’. It is a code of good behaviour on the Internet. Netiquette covers rules to maintain civility in discussions and which govern socially acceptable behaviour on the forum as well as special rules unique to the electronic nature of the forum.

A forum is a place where people engage with each other therefore courtesy and manners are essential. While there is no official netiquette rules for the forum we can devise a set of rules to respect others online.

There is a difference between our Community Guidelines and Netiquette. The Community Guidelines are the guidelines that govern the forums, and are enforced by Moderators whereas Netiquette is more around best practice and is a way of encouraging positive communication.

Below are a few commonly used ‘rules’ to get the discussion started on what we would like to see on our forum. Please feel free to comment, discuss and/or add to these with your own suggestions:

• Before entering a discussion read several back posts to catch up and to understand the context of a discussion.
  • Search before posting – search to see if the topic you are wanting to post about already has an existing thread(s) or a question has already been answered by other members
  • Avoid the use of CAPITAL LETTERS – the use of Capital Letters may be viewed as shouting.

What ‘rules’ do you think should be added to facilitate and enhance a positive experience for people using the forum?

@Appleblossom @aButterfly @Adge @Ant7 @Former-Member @Former-Member @Bella1978 @Bimby2 @Bubbles3 @BambiFawn @BlueBay @Former-Member @Former-Member @CheerBear @Chris @Crazy_Bug_Lady @Catcakes @CherryValentine @Former-Member @Former-Member @Owlunar @Determined @eth @EternalFlame @eudemonism @Former-Member @Faith-and-Hope @Former-Member @Fox3 @Gypsy @Gypsy7 @GonePirate @greenpea @Queenie @Happyness @Heart @Hope4me @Flying_Hams @Jacques @Janna @Jaz5 @janedoe2 @Jojo2 @J1995 @Kurra @Former-Member @Former-Member @Former-Member @Leglessfrog078 @Maggie @Mazarita @Former-Member @NatalieS @Neb @outlander @oceangirl @OhanaSystem @ohanais @Phoenix_Rising @Pepsimax @PeppiPatty @Pepperpot @Queenie @redheaded @-Rayne- @Sophia1 @Former-Member @Snowie @skuapositive @soul @Silenus @Sans911 @Shaz51 @STORMGRL101 @Smc @Former-Member @Teej @TAB @TheVorticon @theaveragejoe @utopia @Wanderer @WideWhale320 @Winterz @Former-Member @Zoe7

70 REPLIES 70

Re: Forum Etiquette (Netiquette)

Morning @Zoe7 and all

I think youve covered things nicely and i dont have any to add but will be following along with interest. Thank you for bringing this topic up.

@Zoe7, I think these are all fine as guidelines but not 'rules'. There are many different ways of engaging with the forum and I wouldn't want to prescribe these too much. The main one for me would be about being polite and civil, but I think that is covered pretty much in the guidelines. Good of you to be thinking about how to improve the forum though.

@Mazarita We ( @NikNik and I ) chose the word 'rules' (for want of a better word) so it did nit get confused with guidelines in our Community Guidelines. I think being Polite and Civil are both thinks we aim for on the forum but isn't written into our guidelines - maybe that is something that @NikNik @Lauz @Margot can look into further.

Morning @Zoe7,

I think what you have written is great. 

I think sometimes that it is hard in the written context as sometimes things are taken the wrong way because we cannot see the person nor know what expression they use. This I think sometimes makes unneeded conflict between members. I think perhaps asking for clarity rather than thinking the worst up front might help.

I hope that makes sense!

Makes complete sense @Snowie and the Community Guidelines under 'Self-care and Conflict' encourage members to seek clarity under the point 'Seek then to clarify' - often when we are in an emotive situation we do not take the step back to check our own emotions as well as seek clarity from the other member(s) - but the Community Guidelines run you through this process quite well here.

@Snowie @Mazarita These could be possible additional ways that we could present the points you have both brought up...

• Be civil – differences can and will always occur on any forum but it is important to keep the discussion focussed on the issue rather than deteriorating into a person attack
  • Reply to negative comments with a positive comment – this can break the cycle of negative posting.

@Zoe7I like those two points Smiley Happy

@Zoe7 I so appreciate you bringing this topic up. You have covered so much and there is nothing at all I could add other than the real life communication comes with facial/ body props, and if there is open communication, we can clarify maybe quicker. But in saying that, it still goes wrong sometimes/ often.

I will be reading along interested in what others have to share. Thanks.

Sometimes it is the reactive posts that we need to take a step back from @Maggie and re-do with a clearer mind once we have let the intial feelings 'wash over us'. This is perhaps where we then need to seek clarity. Maybe (without being written) we can ask a moderator to seek that clarity for us if we think further participation in such a discussion would further inflame the situation. Often not engaging in such a situation or posting a positive response diffuses it but I know there are times when this doesn not happen and that is then for our moderators and/or community managers to sort out.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance